Saturday, April 22, 2006

Day 1 - Miami

The day started early, as Mom decided that to make an 8:20 AM flight, we'd need to be at the airport by 6:45. Maybe in the big city, but hardly necessary in Montana! But she's playing the part of Julie, your cruise director, all week, so we did what we were told. Nothing exciting to tell about our flight from Helena to Minneapolis. Other than noting that, as previouly posted, South Dakota is the ugliest, most boring state in the union, with North Dakota coming in a close second. The flight over NoDak did nothing to enhance its reputation.

I had hoped that Moose might be able to stop by and see me during our layover, but we (she) determined that it wasn't worth the effort. That made me feel so much better... We had to go to the diagonally opposite end of the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport to switch planes, and we found a Mexican place next to our gate so that we could eat and suck down beers right up to our departure time. The beer helped us all sleep on the 3 hour flight to Ft. Lauderdale. (Oops! Point of clarification! Moose didn't blow me off! Since she is quite familiar with the airport, she knew the pitfalls of trying to meet. She knew, and I found out, that it would be virtually impossible with the brief amount of layover time we had. I did get to call her while I was there though! I had planned to write all that last night, but the many beers and the late hour screwed with my mind! I still love ya, Moose. Sorry I didn't clarify that!)

Upon arrival, we were immediately struck with the fact that it was quite warm and quite humid. By the time we hit baggage claim, we were all soaked. I think this will be a theme throughout the week...

We get to our hotel. My room is on the 14th floor.

Seems to be alot of construction all over!


More construction behind me


After finding our rooms, we gathered in the lobby for more liquid refreshments, and deciding what we were going to do in Miami on a Saturday night.

From L, clockwise: S2, S3, S1, Mom, Os, Dad, BIL3, BIL2


We could have attended the prom going on next door (think of every prom you've seen in the movies--this was THAT prom with THOSE people!). Mom, Dad and S1 decide on one place--the rest of us head down to Bayside.
We eat at Bubba Gump's Shrimp, drink more beer, skip Hooters, head down to the water, and eventually call it a night.

Hello. We're tourists...


Ping Pong Shrimp with Mango Pineapple Salsa


BIL2 and friend


Down by the water


My room. Yes, I'm half-nekkid while taking this. No, there's no pics..


Tomorrow (this morning) we sleep in, then board the ship in the afternoon. After finding out what to do when we hit an iceberg and pull a Titanic, it's time to hit the 24-hr. buffet line. And maybe have a beer. Check back again for pics!

13 Comments:

Blogger kimmyk said...

that monkey is cool...and that shrimp looks tasty and i dont even like shrimp.

hope you guys have a great time.....

3:57 AM  
Blogger Moosekahl said...

Clarification...when you called me from the Minneapolis airport you AGREED that I had been RIGHT in saying that trying to see each other in the MN airport would not have logically made sense.

Instead you post like I don't even care about you...damn you are mean!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

hope you packed plenty of deoderant!!!

8:23 AM  
Blogger just.a.girl said...

you have NO idea how much i'd rather be there than here right now....

11:50 AM  
Blogger Cold Hands said...

this is just the beginning and Im already jealous!!! you are going to have so much fun!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Andi said...

Oooh, looks good so far. Can't wait for more pics!

6:17 PM  
Blogger The Smoking Redhead said...

Have a great time big guy and take lots of pics and give hugs and love to all the family.

I want a frame-able photo of you and the whole family when you return (I know, I'm adding on but this will be easy).

Give a special hug to cutie face for me and tell the sis's to have a blast!

5:30 AM  
Blogger Mia said...

Looks like a lot of fun! Could you do me a favor though and sneak some pics of some hot guys/girls for me? I'm living vicariously through you right now, so help out!

1:18 PM  
Blogger .- said...

why i feel like i'm there with you -
and you look so happy in your pic -
nice smile O
----
I will check back...
have a fabulous fabulous time...
mmmmmmmmm
24 hour buffet ;)

3:26 PM  
Blogger ShyRocket said...

Looks like you had a great time... look forward to hearing more about it!

1:58 AM  
Blogger Lee Ann said...

Those are all great pictures. Looks like a blast!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Avery's mom said...

What a vacation!
...I've read through day 4 and I'm almost feeling a little bit relaxed/ just enjoying your pictures and exciting stories (sorry that you pops got sick) there's always drama that happens at sea. lol

7:31 PM  
Blogger Robin Alexa said...

Great pictures and stories! Looks like an awesome time!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home